Reviews For The P10 Power Plant
  • Vote Up0Vote Down brucesbruces
    I have not seen any reviews for the P10 Power Plant.
    Are there any out (& I have missed them)?
    I don't see a "Review" section on the new site.
    Are there any reviews in the pipeline?
    I am sure that there are lots of others asking this same question.
  • 6 Comments
  • Vote Up0Vote Down dcastleDavid
    There was a mini review here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue58/computer.htm

But that's all I've seen.

Power products are not reviewed all that often.

ELECTRONS > P10 > PWD MKII > Mastersound Evolution 845 > Verity Audio Sarastro MK1 > SOUND
  • Vote Up0Vote Down rlabarrerlabarre
    Some of the performance of the P10 was mentioned obliquely here in the review of a different product: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/bluehorizon/3.html. By the way, the entire review is worth reading for its revelations about many of the (sometimes surprising) variables that can contaminate power.
    Thanked by 1blueknight
  • Vote Up0Vote Down blueknightblueknight
    rlabarre said:

Some of the performance of the P10 was mentioned obliquely here in the review of a different product: http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/bluehorizon/3.html. By the way, the entire review is worth reading for some of its revelations about all the (sometimes surprising) variables that can contaminate power.

Thanks for digging that out! :)

QUOTE "During our Blue Horizon experiments we had a visitor who brought along his new PS Audio P10 power regenerator. Curious as we are we of course treated the P10 to an analysis. Guess what? Noise and radio reception were our rewards. The P10 contains no line filtering. For many very enthusiastic owners of the P10—who even traded their PPP in for it—this lack of filtering apparently is no problem. Still curious we now cascaded the P10 behind the PPP from one of the PPP’s outlets. All remaining free outlets on the PPP continued to show 000 and were silent. All outlets on the P10 now showed readings around 280 and there was white noise though no radio.

In a follow-up email exchange with PS Audio’s Paul McGowan we tried to get these measurements explained. Apart from reassurances that the P10 does not filter in any way, the fact that all of a sudden there was high-frequency noise—that is noise above 60Hz—could not be explained. Somewhere the P10 must generate that noise (or act as its own antenna to receive it past its input which we knew to be perfectly clean). Here we have to emphasize that just like the PPP the P10 is not intended or advertised as a filter." UNQUOTE
  • Both the P5 and P10 were reviewed in the November 2011 issue of "Audio Video" (South Africa). Because I'm not sure of the legality of posting a complete review, I'll just give a brief synopsis.

The review contained a fair amount of background history (of power plants), but did not go into too many technical details.

The P10 was set up in Audio Video's office; while the P5 was set up at the reviewer's home, in his personal "reference system".

The reviewer described the sonic differences between the P5 and P10 as "minimal"; and the impact of both on the sound quality as "substantial".

Main test disks used was Jeff Beck's "emotion and commotion"; Sara K "hobo"; and the BR edition of Lord of the Rings - the return of the king.

A few snippets:-
    "When Beck makes his guitar wail plaintively on Somewhere over the Rainbow, you can't stop the goose bumps".
    "Without wanting to over-dramatize, I can report that the P5 added vigo(u)r; energy, space and depth to the already appealing, involving sound of my system".
    "They soundstage opened up in all directions ..... "
    "There was a stronger sense of focus, with finer resolution and closer attention to textures and nuances".
    "In tonal terms, it was the bass response that gained most".
    "With the P5 on duty, there was an effortlessness, a sense of natural flow and rhythm to the music that ensured accessibility and enhanced the enjoyment factor. Put it this way: the music put a smile on my face, every time".

On the slightly negative side: The reviewer did not think the P10 was an improvement over the P5, except for it's somewhat higher current capabilities. The P5, he said, made more financial sense, was more "manageble" (size) and he could not detect any sonic improvement with the P10 over that of the P5. To be fair though, the two units were tested at two different locations - never against each other at the same location so I feel that in this sense the test wasn't properly done. The reviewer also wasn't able to detect any picture improvement on a Sony Bravia, although he did mention the recent LCD demo at CEDIA, showing the exact opposite. He said: ".... or perhaps our old litle Sony just regulates power better than most".

The reviewer did mention that, in bigger systems, the P10's greater capacity and headroom may be a notable issue, but concluded that " ... I'm sticking to my P5 guns in this instance - the value proposition is simply stronger .... it is a reference-standard product, and one I intend adding to my reference system".
    [And indeed, the reviewer purchased the review P5].
  • Vote Up0Vote Down dcastleDavid
    plcomp said: To be fair though, the two units were tested at two different locations - never against each other at the same location so I feel that in this sense the test wasn't properly done.

Agreed - that's not at test of anything, at all. Apples, oranges, eaten here, and there.

P10 is passively ventilated, P5 has a fan, but reputed to be very quiet.

my subjective impression is that my tube amp runs cooler with nicely regulated voltage going into it.

ELECTRONS > P10 > PWD MKII > Mastersound Evolution 845 > Verity Audio Sarastro MK1 > SOUND
  • "P5 has a fan, but reputed to be very quiet."
    Reviewer also mentioned that - in his system - the fan on the P5 never came on.