My P5 and P10 Reviews
  • 7 Comments
  • Vote Up0Vote Down GordonGordon
    Ray,
    Congrats on a very comprehensive review.
    2 questions if I may.

a/ fuse- since it appears the fuse holder is accessible from the back panel, should the HFT fuse arrow point into the p10 or towards the cap? and what difference did direction make in your sound?
    b/ burn-in, Does each outlet have its own burn-in needs?
    IOW do they all have to have a load at the same time during burn-in.
    Thanks I am picking up my P10 later this week and already have HWT fuse and also AMR-Gold fuses to compare.
    thanks a lot.
    Gordon
    "The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Einstein
    “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    "Who tastes not, knows not."
    - my Mom
  • gordon said:

since it appears the fuse holder is accessible from the back panel, should the HFT fuse arrow point into the p10 or towards the cap? and what difference did direction make in your sound?

The manufacturer says the fuses should be oriented in the direction of AC current flow, or in other words, the fuse arrow should point away from the point at which AC enters the fuse holder. In the case of the P5 and P10, AC enters at the rear of the fuse holder (the cap), so the "correct" orientation of the fuse would be with the arrow pointing away from the cap. However, I (and others) found that the best sound with the HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse was with the arrow pointed in the "wrong" direction, which is toward the cap.

Both orientations sounded better than the stock fuse, but the "wrong" orientation provided more bass growl, more ambient details, more low level details and more of a sense of space between images.

One thing you can try is making a note of the background sounds (instruments and vocals) in a good, clear recording and turn the music down to a point where the background sounds fade away. Note the point on the volume control where this occurs. Do this with the stock fuse, then with the audio grade fuse in both directions. There should be a clear difference in all three cases.

gordon said:

burn-in, Does each outlet have its own burn-in needs?
    IOW do they all have to have a load at the same time during burn-in.

All the outlets will have to be burned in, but you don't have to do them all at the same time. On my P10, only the bottom outlets of each zone are used. Therefore, the bottom outlets are broken in and the top outlets are not.

gordon said:

I am picking up my P10 later this week and already have HWT fuse and also AMR-Gold fuses to compare.
    thanks a lot.

Congrats! I am waiting on my second P10 which will be used in my home theater.
    Thanks so much!

Its tough to do this on your own with sometimes nobody to argue the differences with.

Did you by any chance try different fuse directions in the PWD?
    "The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Einstein
    “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    - my Mom
  • I don't own a PWD, but other forum members have tried different fuses in theirs.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down maniacmaniac
    gordon said:

Thanks so much!

Its tough to do this on your own with sometimes nobody to argue the differences with.

Did you by any chance try different fuse directions in the PWD?

I have tried both fuse directions and then left it in position where arrow points to front of the pwd as it sounded the best for me.
    |Qnap&HTPC - P5 - PWD2&Bridge - Electrocompaniet EC4.8 - AW400 - Dynaudio S3.4|SBTouch|Burson Conductor - SAA Endorphine - HD800|Project XpressionIII + Ortofon Blue - ECP1|XLO&Supra|
    Me too.
    I even looked in the mirror and agreed with myself.
    ― Albert Einstein
    - my Mom
  • Vote Up0Vote Down elkElk

One thing you can try is making a note of the background sounds (instruments and vocals) in a good, clear recording and turn the music down to a point where the background sounds fade away. Note the point on the volume control where this occurs. Do this with the stock fuse, then with the audio grade fuse in both directions. There should be a clear difference in all three cases.

Intriguing.